Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Week 1 update 1

12/14/2011

Another long day working on the Kraken. I spent about 3 hours sanding and sand blasting  five Jackman wheels for the Subaru Wagon. The garage is heating up right now so that I can shoot some paint onto them. Since I had the sand blaster out, I had the brilliant idea to hit the rotors and calipers with some sand to knock the rust off. Then I shot them with rust etching primer followed by a shot of some clear coat to turn the primer glossy black. Turned out better than I hoped for such low effort. I do expect some cooking of the paint once the brakes actually get used, but for now they look good!

Here is a picture of one of the wheels with a dusting of rust etching primer only on the rusty portions. I don't have the time or the sand to take all the wheels to bare metal, so I focused on the out side portion and roughed up everything else so it takes paint well.


Also did a bit more work straightening the rear of the wheel well on driver side. Was dented up from a log or something that did some damage in there. Also filled a big rust hole right at the bottom where the mud got behind the mudflap and was allowed to soak for who knows how long.

Started on the electrical problems. The brake pedal activated ALL the exterior lights on the car. After pulling the rear brake light bulbs I discovered a single pin brake like stuck in a dual pin brake light socket. Which was shorting the parking lights to the brake lights. I tested the brake without the bulb and sure enough the parking lights didn't come on. I need to look at the wiring diagram some more because the right side has that dual pin stop light, and the left side has a single pin. So It seems as if someone replaced one of the brake housings with a different model. I would have to have a right blinking stop light and a left one that is only a brake light. So once I identify which is correct I will fix one side or the other.


Hmm, How about a picture of my make-shift painting booth for the wheels?


Unfortunately I don't have rubber for the other wheels, so I won't be able to drive the car for a few days until I can locate something really cheap. I have pretty much spent my budget on the car so can't buy anything new or fancy. The goal was to buy the car and fix it up into daily driving condition for a total of not more than $1000. The cost breakdown for the car is:

  • 1979 Subaru Wagon: $550
  • Registration + tax (title transfer): $147
  • Paints, primers, rust prevention, undercoating, wire spool, cleaners: $75
  • Sand blasting sand: $8
  • Door handle latch, shift knob, side blinker, parking light assembly, : $24
  • Two brake calipers (broke both bleed nipples), 2-ball-joints: $45
  • Window regulator (rolls up window, stripped): $19
  • Turn signal switch and harness: $14
  • Relay harness with 4 large relays from a Cadillac: $33
  • Gas money for parts collection: $40 (2011 Turbo STi, 20mpg......)
  • Total: $955
The relay harness will be used to rewire the headlights for much improved performance. It will also switch on the Accel Multispark ignition with super-coil I will be installing. It's an old ignition item orginally used in my 1966 Impala before it was upgraded to an MSD digital (laptop) programmable unit that was installed. This leaves one relay for driving lights (fog lights).







No comments:

Post a Comment